The scary guy is real, and he tried to break into my house last night. I have been going back and forth about if I should blog about this or not, because there are certain people who are strongly opposed to where we chose to buy our house. And we hear about it all the time. "Why did you buy THAT house?" Well - because we're poor, and we can't afford to live up in The Benches. That's why! But that's a whole other story ... And I am going to tell you all what happened last night anyway.
Since we didn't go trick-or-treating, we spent the night at home, as usual. I had just gotten the kids bathed and ready for bed. I didn't want any trick-or-treaters ringing the doorbell (since we had all of ZERO kids anyway) so I turned off most of the house lights and the porch lights. My van is in the shop, and Tim was at work, so there were no cars in our driveway. Conveniently, it looked like no one was home.
So we're sitting in the living room, and our house alarm went off. That sucker is LOUD! My first reaction was, "What the hell?!?!" and then I got scared. Because I realized that someone probably just tried to break into the house through one of the windows. The kitchen window, to be exact.
So I ran to turn the alarm off, and then I was all like, "No WAY am I turning it off! If someone is still outside, I'm leaving it on!" Instead, I ran through the house and turned on all the inside and outside lights. Then waited a little while longer, and then turned off the very loud alarm.
Now, the alarm company is supposed to call soon after the alarm goes off to make sure I didn't open a window myself, or just burn dinner - again. But it seemed to be taking forever for them to call. So I took matters into my own hands and called 9-1-1. While I was on the phone with 9-1-1, the alarm company beeped in, so I put 9-1-1 on hold. HA! Just kidding. I didn't. Can you imagine?
"Hello 9-1-1 What is your emergency?"
"Oh, hey - can you hold a minute. Someone is on the other line."
OK - so I kept talking to the operator, and they sent a police woman over to my house who looked strangely like Angela from "The Office."
As you can imagine, the little punks were gone by the time the cops got there. She assured me that it was probably a Halloween "thing" and that she can understand exactly why I was scared, because, Good Hell! Look where I live?!?! Then she reinforced this notion by explaining to me just what a scary neighborHOOD I live in. Like I was completely unaware of the crime and debauchery going on around me. Well -that's why we had an alarm system installed the day after we moved in! And I didn't feel like explaining for the 1047th time that why we live here, and not up in The Benches, is because it's about the only place we can afford.
So we're all alive. Jackson slept with me last night. And we started on plans this morning to sell our house and move up into The Benches. Just kidding.
7 comments:
I knew when I said, "can things get worse" the other night before you almost got robbed, I should have thought of another phrase. I mean, I was thinking...wrecked car, no dvd player, flooded house, no mia in a pumpkin suit, husband with a bad back...i would be safe to say: "what else?" but i was wrong! Because you almost got robbed in the hood for the 2-3 time in your life. Im so sorry!!! Can you call and get your dogs back? Im serious!!!
Katie, how scary! I'm glad you had your wits about you, though, and that you guys are all safe.
holy hell
i'm just so glad you had the alarm. i would have been FREAKING out!
last year a guy came and knocked on our front window at 2 am. we were awake but john was in the bathroom. i tried to pretend that i hadn't heard anything, but went and told john some creep was knocking at the window... then he knocked on the back window and my dog chased him down. it gives me such glee to think of my dog attacking him! hehe! then john ran out the front door and asked him what the &$#* he thought he was doing. he had just gotten out of prison (nice) and thought that a guy named sean still lived here (he sold the house 4 years ago, some friend eh)
so, now that i've held your blog hostage....
i'm so glad you're safe!
(i really need to learn to stop posting commments after midnight!)
I'm a firm believer in Home Alarms, too! We have one on our house, and we live out in The Boonies. But aren't "The Boonies" where all the crazy, cannibalizing hillbillies get you?!?! That's my thinking, anyway...
Glad you are safe!
Don't let folks give you crap about living in the "hood"! When we lived in Salt Lake we first moved to East Midvale...which is a nice, safe area, where people want to live. We hated it...I actually had people at church tell me that they weren't going to bother learning my name. Then, to save money, we moved to West Valley...in the "hood". We were warmly welcomed and made life long friends in our 2 years there...we got lots of flack for moving there, but we were happy to be there. We had a couple scary times too, but hey, they make good topics of conversation :)
When you stop shaking (years from now) you will be able to laugh. I am surprised it wasn't your Dad and Clyde Willis trying to scare the &*%# out of you like they did to me years ago on Halloween. They are capable and have experience... you might check for an alibi from your dad.
Post a Comment