One thing I love to do when my kiddies start eating "real" food is make their food myself. It doesn't take much time, and the equipment needed is fairly cheap and way easy to use. Let me demonstrate.
First, you'll need a food grinder. I got mine from here for only $15.99! Of course they have fancy-schmancy electric grinders, but we're not that cool.
Next you take any food. Anything at all! I like to use fresh, frozen, or canned (in that order) fruits and vegetables. (Side note - if you're using canned fruit, get the fruit that's in 100% juice. If you're using canned vegetables, rinse them before you grind so as to remove any added sodium.) You can also grind up meat, pastas, cooked rice .. like i said .. ANYTHING!
You stick it in, and grind it up.
And then you feed it to baby. Done. Finished.
Mmmmmmmmmm ... Blueberries!
If you want to save some for later, you can freeze some in these handy-dandy freezer trays. Or you could simply use ice-cube trays, too, just make sure you cover them well so the food doesn't get freezer burnt.
Now - why on earth would someone make their own baby food when they have jarred baby food already ready to eat? I'll tell you why! Because it's more nutritious as fresh foods retain more of the vitamins (especially A, B, and C), it tastes better (anyone ever tasted jarred baby food peas?!?!), there are no fillers like cornstarch or flour which just add empty calories, there are no chemicals or preservatives, and you have more control over exactly what is being put into your baby's body.
Of course, it's not always practical or convenient to make your own food at every meal, every day. So I do have some jarred baby food ready for those days when I am just too tired or busy to make my own. But really - it doesn't take that much longer. Try it!
Oh yes - one more thing I love to use - espcially when my babies are teething. It's this awesome munchkin thingy-mer-bob. You stick any food - I like to use frozen fruits when they are teething - into this mesh sack and let them at it!
Here's a list of my favorite foods to feed my babies, some of them you can't even find in jars!
*Avacado. Easy to smash. Loaded with omega 3's, potassium, and they actually help your body absorb other nutrients.
*Blueberries. Major antioxidant power here in these tiny berries.
*Kiwi. Mega vitamin C (bring it on flu season!) postasium, and fiber.
*Pumpkin. I actually buy this stuff in the can right out of the baking aisle. Just make sure you get the stuff that isn't "Pumpkin Pie" ready with all the sugar already added.
*Spinach. I usually grind this one up in the blender and mix it with other veggies. Major antioxidants, vitamin B's, and K's (and a long list of other things) in this little green leaf!
*Egg Yolk. Use this one closer to age one - and don't eat the whites until age one!
7 comments:
Stefanie hated jarred baby food...I tried it a total of 3 or 4 times. After that she got what we ate, grinded up. I'd never do it another way myself. Way to go Katie :)
awesome katie! you are the best.
I'm so torn on the baby food grinder thing. Half of the people I know who've used it swear by its awesomeness. The rest of the bunch think it's a piece of junk. Well, here's for another vote in favor of, I guess. Since Garrett is only just starting solids, I haven't ventured into "make them myself" mode. But a part of me fully intends to, once he's more established. We'll see how it goes...both my ambition levels AND the space in my freezer for the strained butternut squash that will last for like 50 meals. I appreciate, though, the how-to run down you posted here. I'll probably refer back to this later.
i think about you and home-made babyfood everytime (literally) i feed Rylie (the 9 month old I nanny).
P.S. Nai-Nai's face is purely joyous!!!!
Normally I'd say, "what kind of whacko makes their own baby food!?" but she's obviously SO happy with it, that just explains it all :) Thankfully my little ones loved the jars of food. I swear neither of them would touch anything green after they'd outgrown the pureed stuff.
you are the coolest mom EVAH. i suck.
Post a Comment