14 November 2007

Living The American Dream

So our main drain has flooded yet again. I think this is either the 4th of 5th time this year? I don't know - I've lost count. Of course it happened while Tim was at work, as usual. So I was left to move the washer and dryer and clean up the mess. This time, I talked Tim into calling a plumber. The verdict is in - and it ain't purty.

Here's what we know:

*Our house wasn't really built in 2001. It was remodeled in 2001. It was built in 1916.

*Since it was built in 1916, the plumbing is 91 years old.

*It isn't a clogged drain that's the problem. The plumber thinks there is a "low spot" where 91 years worth of sludge has built up. Maybe. Possibly. He's not 100% sure about that.

* And simply running a snake through the pipes is like taking a butter knife and sticking it into butter. It might make a space for a little bit, but it's just gonna fill back in.

*We can power wash the pipes, and it may or may not fix the problem.

*A better solution would be to replace all the pipes. Period.

*Since our plumbing is as old as dirt, our pipes go towards to back of the house (where there used to be an outhouse), around the back, around the west side, under the new cement driveway, and out into the main sewer. That's 107 feet worth of pipe.

*If we replace the pipes, we will have to dig up the new driveway.

If I write anymore about this, my head is going to explode. Like my dad says - Welcome to the American Dream.

9 comments:

Ashley Thalman said...

or as my dad says, "the @#$^ has HIT the fan!" i am so so sorry you poor little rose park thing!

Sara said...

That really, really sucks! Did your realtor happen to disclose the little tid bit about your house being built in 1916 and NOT in 2001? Unbelieveable!

Sara said...

I spelled "unbelievable" wrong...

Katie said...

We're giving the agency who sold us the house the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know about this 1916/2001 mix up since it was a HUD house to begin with. They didn't really profit from the sale, so they had no reason to lie about it in the contract. But we're calling them tomorrow.

Lindsay said...

Yikes, Katie! I'm so sorry! You know, the same thing happened to a co-worker of Blake's whose family just moved to New Jersey. They knew how old their house was (1850s) but what they didn't learn until AFTER the fact was that in the 1850s the pipes were essentially made of clay and that they have since all but corroded completely away. So they weren't even connected anymore to the city line. Pipe problems are definitely something I never want to have to deal with. Ever.

ummmhello said...

Oh nooooo :( We've been there and it SUCKS. Hope you guys get it worked out.

melanie said...

WOW!!! That is a big difference in the age of the home.. I think I would be upset about that. Sorry! to hear that..

Krysta said...

Wow. That's all I can say. WOW.

(Hope you get it worked out to YOUR advantage!)

jenica said...

yikes. we had our pipes power flushed and it completely got rid of the *problem* but my house was built in 1949 which is still hella younger than yours. it costs about 300 smackers. how much will it cost to re-pipe it all?