Reason #638 why my neighborhood is lame:
I went on a de-junking kick last weekend when we built our shed. I was just feeling a little too cramped in our little bitty house, so I got rid of some stuff. Like this lamp that I loved, and have been hauling around for almost 5 years. Only the darn thing has never, ever worked. I know. Lame. I also got rid of a little, old book end table that the lamp was sitting on. If I wasn't keeping the broken lamp, I wasn't keeping the table it sat on, because the only reason I kept the table was because I kept the lamp.
I had all this stuff in the back of my awesome mini-van so that I could take it to D.I later. We ended up needing the space to haul some other stuff, so we took the stuff out and set it in the driveway. When we got back from hauling other things, the stuff was gone. Oh well - they saved me a trip to D.I. and I learned an important lesson. If I ever really want to get rid of Jackson, all I have to do is stick him on the porch. I don't even have to put a sign around his neck that says "Free Stuff."
7 comments:
Oh sad! Your neighborhood is lame!
We have the same problem in my "neighborhood". People dig in the dumpster and get stuff that we (or other people) throw away. And then there are the people that steal stuff from the DI drop off in Smiths shopping carts.
When we moved into our house, we tossed a bunch of broken appliances (the sellers lied about so much!) into the alley, along with the small throw rugs the sellers had used to cover the HOLES in the carpet. By nightfall, everything was gone. Crazy, huh? Broken lamps, broken washers....
Okay...so maybe I'M lame, but sometimes you really can find good stuff that other people have tossed out with the garbage. There's an unwritten rule both here, and in our old complex in Indiana, that if something is in decent condition, but still unwanted, it is set next to the dumpster or garbage cans or in the recycling corner and is considered up for grabs. We picked up a perfectly good lamp, microwave stand, and kiddie chair in this manner. I mean, yeah, if the stuff looks like garbage, it probably is and should be just left alone. But what can I say...one man's trash is another man's treasure...or much needed lamp. :)
hahahahahaha. too funny. why can i totally see jackson hanging out it nothing but a diaper scaring your neighbors away?
im with lindsey:) i am the biggest trash collector i know:)
Post a Comment