
For you health nuts out there ~ and maybe even some of you who aren't so nutty:
My sister gave me this "recipe" to try. While I was making it I thought it looked absolutely disgusting, and there was no way I was going to drink it! But it was so tasty - almost like a Jamba Juice AND I got way more then my 5 servings of fruits and vegetables for the day - which is sometimes hard for me to do. So here it is. You can totally improvise to fit your tastes.
*1/3 to 1/2 bag of spinach leaves (Like 2 cups?)
*6 oz. orange juice (give or take)
*Any kind of fruits and vegetables you want!
*Blend them all together in blender until smooth.
Today I used 1 banana, 1 can of mandarin oranges in their own juice (NO SUGAR ADDED!), 1/2 avocado, 1 roma tomato, 1/2 cup frozen peas. I hear that frozen fruit is great, too. Blueberries, strawberries, mangos ... let your imagination run wild!! Use whatever produce you have laying around the house. It's a little thick in texture (for those of you bothered by texture. Ahem. Jenny.) but you can add as much OJ/water as you want. It doesn't taste at all like spinach, but there is a ton of spinach in it. It's really sweet because of the fruit and the OJ. I am SO excited. I am going to have one every single day of my LIFE! TIM EVEN LIKED IT! That is saying a lot since I have never seen the man eat anything green in the last 5 years.
I just had an idea. You can add ground up flax seed for good measure. I love the stuff. It works miracles. Can you tell I am how excited about it? Can you see it in my words? Seriously - just try it. It's amazing, and I am bouncing off the walls with energy!
On a side note: my ultrasound went fine. No gall stones. Possibly an ulcer. When I told my acupuncturist at my last appointment that my regular doctor thought I had gall stones, he said "I really don't think so. Listening to your pulse, it sounds more like an ulcer to me." I should have listened to him, and not even bothered with the ultrasound, but I am really new to this whole alternative medicine thing. So that's a good thing. I prefer to keep my gall bladder - thank you. And I got some good herbs that are working to coat my stomach so it can heal. By the way ~ I LOVE ACUPUNCTURE! I look forward to all my appointments because I know I am going to feel that much better afterwards. I still have good days and bad days, but I am sleeping so great now, and I only had one tiny headache last week. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I know about a dozen people who are pregnant right now, and it can even help with morning sickness. So I totally recommend it.
All this good health has totally energized me to finish school and become a Registered Dietician. I am so excited to learn more about how my body works and the things I can do to help myself feel wonderful - and hopefully live a long, healthy life!
2 comments:
Im not pregnant. So just in case you thought I was on the "a ton of pregnant people" list, Im clearing the record. And I would totally make the super miracle spinach juice but I'll have to wait till I get a blender:)
I have green shakes all the time! But I make mine a little different. I do Stoneyfields Plain yogurt, water, spinach, broccoli, a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder and the frozen berries from costco. YUM!!! And I get like half my daily servings of veggies in one sitting!
Great minds think alike... :D
Post a Comment