05 August 2007

He's A Pro (Fit Thrower, That Is)

I sincerely believe Jackson is going to be the death of me. Or maybe it will be the other way around. He has become PRO fit thrower of the universe. Maybe all 2 year olds are this way, but people keep telling me that 3 is worse. Do I dare ask "How exactly DOES it get worse?" Worse than screaming, flailing limbs, high pitched screams, kicking, screaming, hitting, scratching, yelling, and the most overused word at our house ,"NO!" at the drop of a hat? And did I happen to mention the screaming? I'm not sure I want to see 3.

For example: We bought a used double jogging stroller so I can start jogging again. The only problem is, it's side by side. (Not only is this inconvenient for everyone else trying to get around you on the side walk or in the store, it puts the kids right-close-together-like. Too close.) So we're out jogging, headed to the much beloved park, and Jackson is throwing a fit because sister is touching his arm. We've only gone two blocks and I've stopped, oh, ten times to try and reason with him and explain to him that if he continues acting this way, we will go home. No more park. Have you ever tried to reason and explain something to a 2 year old throwing a fit? No? Try wrestling an alligator and you'll know. Those parenting magazines are full of it. There is no such thing as reasoning and explaining anything to a 2 year old fit thrower of the universe.

In the end, I gave up. I was FURIOUS. All I wanted to do was go for a short jog to the park. Is it too much to ask Jackson to be good for 20 minutes. (Seriously, that's only about how long I can jog.) We get home, and into his room he goes. I am beyond FURIOUS at this point. So, instead of beating his rear into next year, I do what any responsible parent would do. I lock his room, from the inside, and shut the door. I take a 5 minutes breather, and I slowly come to the realization of what I've done. I've just locked my 2 year old in his room and I have no way of getting him out.

After fiddling with the lock (with a bobby pin, no less) for about 5 minutes, I get out the screwdriver and start taking the entire door knob off. Jackson, who can hear me jiggling the door handle for the last 10 minutes, is absolutely hysterical.

In case you're wondering, he came out alive. Honestly, it was probably safer in there for him while I got my wits about me. But maybe we'll look into getting a lock on the outside of the door. Yeah, like that's any safer.




No comments: