13 August 2007

I'm Not Sure How To Do This

We've decided to try and potty train our *almost* two year old. I'm feeling like it's a little early as far as ago goes, but the kid is showing all the classic textbook signs that he's ready to go! (Not to mention the fact that he's starting to take his own poopy diapers off. And running around naked and then peeing on the floor is the highlight of his day. Not cool.) So we went to Walmart today (and yes, I spent too much money). We got some pull-ups, some real underwear that he got the pick out, and a mini-potty. They had a model out of the box that I showed Jackson, and you know what he did? He dropped his drawers and sat on it. Right there in Walmart. Do ya think he's ready?

When we got him home, he ran and hid to do his thing, and I grabbed him and we went to sit on the potty. He sat on it. And got off. And sat on it. And got off. And sat on it ... And repeated this pattern for about 3 minutes before he decided he was done. So we put a diaper back on him and he ran into his room only to emerge a few minutes later with a poopy diaper.

I guess I'm just not sure what to expect. That he would see a potty, sit on it, do his thing, and be cured of wearing diapers for ever! Glory Hallelujah It's A Miracle! No such luck. *sigh* I guess we're in it for the long haul. Any helpful advice on how to train a little boy, who won't sit still long enough to do much of anything, to pee in a miniature toilet and not on the floor would be most appreciated!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I've obviously not potty trained anyone yet, but in the spirit of planning for the future, I asked my mom a few weeks ago for her advice on how to do it. She told me that once you start, you just don't go back. From the minute you begin potty training, there are no more diapers (at least at first not in the daytime...nighttime takes longer). You deal with the messes, but your firmness is supposed to help a lot. Also, she said she always waited until the SUMMER we were 2 1/2 (and for some of us, that meant waiting until we were 3, but she said it was worth it to her to wait until summertime so that her kids could be naked and not cold). But I guess if Jackson is acting like he's ready, the next thing for you to do is take the plunge (haha...that pun wasn't intended, but it works!) and don't look back. Good luck!!! You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes. :)

Lindsay said...

I just realized I should have explained the whole "naked and not cold" part...basically she'd just let us be naked except for underpants so that making it to the pot on time was easier. Anyway, hopefully that makes things more clear. :)