

Yesterday was my first day back to school since, well, spring semester. It's been nice to have a break this summer while I attempted to adjust to being the sole provider for two children. I'm not sure I will ever make that adjustment, but at least I gave it my best shot!
Still being in school is a both a happy and a depressing feeling for me. I'm 25 and I still don't have a degree - not even an associates. DEPRESSING! I'm still learning, and I love to learn. HAPPY! This is my third university and fourth major in seven years. DEPRESSING! I have almost 100 credits, and no degree. DEPRESSING! I am finally finishing up my generals this semester and will have my 2 year degree in December. HAPPY! So I guess it all evens out in the end ??
I'm going what they consider 3/4 time. Not full. Not half. That means I have 10 credits. 3 classes. College Algebra. Philosophy:Ethics and Values. Intro to Sociology. I think it's going to be a lot of work, but fun. I'm excited to jump in. (Ask me how I feel again come December!) After this semester I will be transferring to the University of Utah. There I will be taking a ton of yucky science classes for pre-requisites to the Dietetics program. When I say yucky science classes I mean things like Bio Chemistry. Microbiology. Organic Chemistry. Anatomy (with cadaver lab). Physiology. Just typing the names of those classes gives me the heebie-jeebies. I mean, even *smart* people lament those classes. What does that mean for me and my sometimes-here-halfway-over-there-most-of-the-time-missing mom brain?
So why bother? Because it's been my life's ambition to graduate from college. I'm going to do it if it kills me! My brother was teasing me the other day about how long it is taking to finish my degree. He said I will hobble down the aisle with my walker on graduation day, grab my diploma, say, "It is finished", and then drop dead. The only request I will have is that they leave the diploma clutched in my cold, dead hands when they bury me. And the sad part is, he ain't even kidding.
Still being in school is a both a happy and a depressing feeling for me. I'm 25 and I still don't have a degree - not even an associates. DEPRESSING! I'm still learning, and I love to learn. HAPPY! This is my third university and fourth major in seven years. DEPRESSING! I have almost 100 credits, and no degree. DEPRESSING! I am finally finishing up my generals this semester and will have my 2 year degree in December. HAPPY! So I guess it all evens out in the end ??
I'm going what they consider 3/4 time. Not full. Not half. That means I have 10 credits. 3 classes. College Algebra. Philosophy:Ethics and Values. Intro to Sociology. I think it's going to be a lot of work, but fun. I'm excited to jump in. (Ask me how I feel again come December!) After this semester I will be transferring to the University of Utah. There I will be taking a ton of yucky science classes for pre-requisites to the Dietetics program. When I say yucky science classes I mean things like Bio Chemistry. Microbiology. Organic Chemistry. Anatomy (with cadaver lab). Physiology. Just typing the names of those classes gives me the heebie-jeebies. I mean, even *smart* people lament those classes. What does that mean for me and my sometimes-here-halfway-over-there-most-of-the-time-missing mom brain?
So why bother? Because it's been my life's ambition to graduate from college. I'm going to do it if it kills me! My brother was teasing me the other day about how long it is taking to finish my degree. He said I will hobble down the aisle with my walker on graduation day, grab my diploma, say, "It is finished", and then drop dead. The only request I will have is that they leave the diploma clutched in my cold, dead hands when they bury me. And the sad part is, he ain't even kidding.
2 comments:
Good for you, Katie! You can do it!
Hey! You come from a long genetic line of late graduaters. You may not remember that your dad went to law school and I went to do my master's and uncle victor was in school for his Nursing degree all at the same time. We laughed together that they would be taking our student loan payments out of our social security checks before it was all over. Then we all went into a panic when we thought there might not be any social security for our age group. But we all made it and you will too. I am proud of you...remember that, on the late nights before a major project is due and you're dead tired and you haven't done the work and you wonder if it is too late to drop out...the sun will come up and it will all be good. I PROMISE! Lori
Post a Comment