01 February 2008

Nap Time Is Over

My kids have never been good sleepers. By good, I mean they don't sleep a lot. Even when Jackson was a newborn, he slept less then other newborns. When I say less, I mean A LOT LESS. When other infants were nodding off to sleep at 6 or 7 PM, Jackson was wide awake until well after 10 PM. I'm not a night person, so this was especially disturbing to me. It didn't help when other people called me names because, seriously, what kind of decent mother lets her kids stay up past sun down, anyway? And then he would wake up before 7am - every morning - and he would be cheerful. When he was about 18 months he decided that he didn't need two naps anymore. One would be sufficient. I thought I was going to die.

Now, he's 2 years, 4 months, and 2 weeks old and he's decided that he doesn't need a nap. Period. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die because of it. Isn't he too young to be making these kinds of decisions for himself? I've begged. I've pleaded. I've threatened. Obviously, he doesn't understand the words psychotic, crazy, insane, CERTIFIABLE, nuts, flippo, schiczo, unbalanced .... HE OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT UNDERSTAND MY NEED FOR SLEEP! FOR QUIET! FOR ALONE TIME!

And at the end of the day, after both kids are finally asleep - I'm too tired to do anything but drag my sorry butt into my room and throw myself half heartedly onto my bed, still wearing my spit-up stained clothes, close my eyes and pray I get at least 2 hours of consecutive sleep since Mia still nurses 2-3 times at night.

So now he (and Mia) go to bed at 9pm and are up at the butt-friggin-crack-of-dawn. How sweet of them.

7 comments:

The Betitas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Betitas said...

sorry i deleted my comment because i guess i still haven't learned to spell! anyways....i CANNOT imagine functioning on no sleep.

Rick...the meek and mild said...

and you still consider them the greatest blessing in your life right? Ahhhhh the wonder of children

Katie said...

Of course! Opposite in all things. How could they be my greatest blessing without being my greatest trial?

Bleen said...

Rowan started taking a nap every other day until I learned he'll sleep if I make him exercise. So my friend and I go to the church sometimes with a bunch of balls and let them run for 2 hours straight in the gym. Works everytime. Winter is hard because you're couped up inside all the time. I understand how you feel about sleep deprivation though. I'm tempted not to have any more kids just to avoid that. Hang in there. -Rachel

Heather said...

Stef was the same way. Nursed 2-3 times a night until she was a year old, and she was a slow eater (like it took her 45 minutes to eat each time). She decided naps were not for her at about 18 months...urgh! I thought I would die. I actually remember crying to Steve that I would never get another night of un-interrupted sleep in my life, but it passed. Generally STef only wakes me up about twice a week now (I know it's sad, 'cause she's almost 8). Best of luck and know that you have a sympathizer :)

Lori Buhr said...

At least at this age you fall asleep dead tired and you know where they are at. Wait until they are teenagers and you are fully as tired and need to sleep, but they haven't even come home yet, and you are awake with worry. Sleep is over rated, tell yourself that for the next 20 years. (P. S. telling yourself doesn't help, if you repeat it over and over it will make you fall asleep!)