The other day I was playing pat-a-cake with Mia, and she was laughing out loud, with her little mouth wide open, and I caught a glimpse of something on the top of her mouth. Something white. Something round. Something unnatural. So, I did what any mom would do - I totally FREAKED OUT. I laid her down real quick like, and pried open her mouth. What I saw scared the pants off me. It was a white, almost perfectly circular, quarter sized thick tissue-ish something that looked liked it was protruding out of her soft palate. So many things were flying through my mind, like:
Did her soft palate never close?
Is it tissue?
Is it a cancerous growth?
Is it her brains?
Why didn't I notice it sooner?
Is it filled with puss?
Naturally - I wasn't going to stick my finger in there and poke around. So I called my mom, because I thought I better check with her before I dialed 9-1-1, all while I threw my kids together so I could hi-tail it to the emergency room. I can tell you - there is no scarier feeling in the world then thinking there is something terribly wrong with one of your children.
Of course my mom was asking all kinds of questions, wanting me to describe it, but I just couldn't describe it any better then I did in the above paragraph. I had no idea what it was - it just looked freaky. And while I was talking to my mom, Mia coughed. And it fell out.
I picked it up, and upon close examination I saw that it was a clump of pages. From a book. Brothers Karamozov, the be exact.
Thank goodness I didn't make it to the ER - cause that would have been a little bit embarrassing. And I laughed until I cried. Because I love that book - dang it! And my kid had to go and eat it.
7 comments:
At least your kids have good taste in literature. ;)
hehe. poor mama.
They never do that to the pile of books that you have set out do go to D. I. beacuse they are basically "trash". It is good that she is already reading "solid" books.
i am laughing out freakin loud!!! first of all, the worry that comes with having kids...even before they are born...starting with: can i have kids? to will they be normal and healthy? Then they arrive and you worry if they eat normally, if they sleep normally, if they throw temper tantrums normally. and then they have weird freaky medical things. and no wonder you thought for sure she had a brain tumor! and p.s. your entry was hilarious. Good job writing!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! how funny! at least she is attracted to good literature eh?
Hey!!! It was our experience that the mouth was first, the nose was next. Better start looking in her nostrils on a regular basis too. Especially if she starts developing a killer case of bad breath....ask Brooke for details.
Ahh Ha Ha Ha. Thanks for sharing. Which one of the cousins or cousin's kids got a pink sponge curler stuck up their nose? Keep track of the books she eats and then when she is old enough to ask you what you want for Mother's Day you can ask her to replace the ones she has eaten. Got to love em!
Post a Comment