06 January 2008

Mr. Mean

Jackson got kicked out of nursery today. NURSERY! The place where they sing songs, play with toys, have snacks, and learn about Jesus. Tim took Mia out for a diaper change and met him and his teacher in the hallway. I guess he was hitting, kicking, and pushing all the kids. Not one. All of them. And not once. Repeatedly. For no reason. A few weeks ago his teacher told me that he had been part in an "altercation" and a few hours later he had a little bit of a black eye. I'm not sure what the other kid looked like. I'm starting to think he's wearing out his welcome, and that the messages about Jesus and kindness aren't sinking in.

The more we are around other people with children, the more I'm starting to realize that I'm raising a bully. I don't know where he gets this stuff from, because we're not exactly into hitting and kicking and pushing our children, unless they make us really mad. OK - please don't turn me into DCFS. That was a joke. But, seriously. He's mean. We were at a Christmas party with Tim's family, some of who have "done time" and they all kept saying, "That little kid is mean!" Over and over. And then they'd laugh. Because it's cool to be mean when you've been to prison and back.

Truly, I wonder if he's just going through a mean stage, or if he's just plain old mean, mean, mean. Sometimes I'll tell him to stop doing something, and he'll come over, hit me, and say, "No! YOU stop it, mama." I'm not sure what's up, because, frankly, I've never raised children before. They don't come with an instruction manual. And I've certainly never had to deal with a mean 2 year old on a daily basis. I'm kindda flying by the seat of my pants here, and it seems to me that Jackson has started my pants on fire, and we're going down. So fasten your seat-belts, folks, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I think the nursery leaders were all glad to see Carson go into Sunbeams! He's never been kicked out of nursery, but hes been kicked out of the daycare at the gym 3 or 4 times. I don't know what to tell ya, I've never had to deal with a bully, until Carson. Hope things get better!

The Betitas said...

I dont think its as much a problem with Jackson as his nursery leaders. I think all two year olds are just testing the waters out. They are trying to figure out what they can and cannot do. At least the two year old I watch is....he has at least one breakdown, melt down or temper tantrum every single day. And might I say, better to be the picker onner than the picked on! Thats my motto.

Ashley Thalman said...

he isn't mean. it IS a phase. he is the coolest kid i know.

Unknown said...

I'm raising mean (and spoiled) cats. So I have no advice. But I'm sure it's a phase. He's a boy that's for sure. But he is so sweet too.

jenica said...

he's just figuring himself out. anger and tantrums are ways to try to control the situation. his nursery leaders are probably inciting riots by not allowing him any control of himself...

Tevye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tevye said...

He doesn't know the meaning of mean - he just is bigger and more coordinated than most two year olds so the effects of the typical behavior are somewhat magnified. I think you should beat him but make sure you stop before he gets to the age that he can remember it - you don't want big people holding a grudge against you and he is going to be a "big people." If you are Katie's friend and are aghast at my suggestion - I am kidding! He's my grandson for gosh sakes!