So I'm stuck in Provo for the night. I don't have any pajamas, or even a tooth brush. I drove down to UVSC this afternoon in the middle of a snowstorm so I could take 2 tests. Now it's dark, and the snow has turned into ice on the sidewalks and roads - and I am SO not driving home with my babies in the car. I feel kindda silly since when we lived in Alaska I drove from Eielson to Fairbanks in the dead of winter (that's like 7 months out of the year) in ice fog, ice roads, ice, ice, ice almost every day of the week for 3 years.
One time while I was driving to class in Fairbanks on a particularly cold, snowy day, there was ice fog in the air. For those of you who don't know what ice fog is - here's the definition according to Wikipedia.
"Ice fog is any kind of fog where the droplets have frozen into extremely tiny crystals of ice in midair. Generally this requires temperatures at or below −35 °C (−30 °F), making it common only in and near the Arctic and Antarctic regions."
(Did you catch that? -30 degrees! There's a minus sign in front of that 30. That makes it below zero. Just clairfying for all you math retards. Ironicly - math was one of those tests I had to risk my life to drive down to Provo to take today. Never thought I'd risk my life for a bit of math. More proof that math either kills brain cells or makes you insane.)
So these extremely tiny crystals are floating around in the air, preventing me from seeing anything beyond the hood of my car, and as I'm driving, my back end is doing the fish tail thing because my wonderful, thoughtful husband forgot to put the 200 pounds of cat litter back into the trunk. (We had cat litter in the back of the trunk because that's what "the locals" told us worked best to keep your car on the road, and out of the ditch. The locals were full of great advice, most of which we chose not the follow, mostly for personal moral reasons. But the cat litter thing ~ that was a keeper.)
So there I am. Driving THROUGH ice while also driving ON ice because they don't plow the roads up there. And about 10 miles out, my breath starts freezing into ice - on the INSIDE of the windshield. So I did what any normal person would do. I pulled out my credit card and started scraping a tiny rectqangular sized clear spot so that I could at least see the hood of my car, because that's safer than not being able to see the hood. Now I'm driving one handed scraping ice with the other hand. I think if I had had a third hand, I would have been hanging it out the window - flipping those extremely tiny crystals of ice the bird.
True story.
4 comments:
I have heard many stories about ICE FOG up in Fairbanks.. from my mom. Yours for sure made me laugh. Living further south in Anchorage.. and Soldotna, I dont remember any ice fog. I remember the Ice on the roads..where by the end of winter is like 6 inches thick! AND I'm going back up there- Am I crazy or what?
Okay, so now all of my own crazy snow/ice/fog/blizzard stories have been melted to shame. You win.
i remember you telling me about it the day it happened! how scary.
-30 is for the record 60 degrees lower than freezing. that's like the difference between summer and snowing, but cold and coldest. not cool. not cool at all.
sounding a little bitter these days! bitter cold that is:)
Post a Comment