19 December 2007

Sick Babies And A Sick Mama

I haven't posted for a while, but we've been having it rough here at our house. I can honestly and thankfully say that my kids don't hardly ever get sick - but when they do - they sure do make up for it! Jackson has never had an ear infection, and Mia has been here for over 6 months and she's only ever had a runny nose so far. But we recently got some nasty bug from somewhere. I'm not sure where since I'm kind of a germ-a-phobe. I take my own Clorox wipes to the store in case they don't have disinfectant wipes to wipe down the entire cart before I touch it. But I suppose it's inevitable that some kind of germ will get through at some point when you have kids.

So we've been sick. The only one who hasn't been sick is Tim, and I'm expecting it to hit him any day now. It all started when Jackson came into my room at 4am crying "Hold me, Mama!" which actually isn't all that unusual. I just pick him up and plop him into bed with me. So there he is, laying with his head on my chest and he's still crying "Hold me!" and I said "Sweetie - I am holding you." And then the rest is a blur, but it includes projectile vomit. Vomit in my hair. Vomit down the side of my face. Vomit down my arms and pajamas. Vomit in my ear.

I do remember getting up and running Jackson into the bathroom, but it was long over before I got there. Then I remember rocking Jackson on my lap and telling Tim to get me a warm rag to wipe Jackson (and myself) up with. And then I remember him opening up the dirty laundry basket and handing me a cold, dirty dish rag. I don't remember the words that came out of my mouth after that, but Tim assures me that they aren't fit for public consumption. So he got me a nice, clean, warm bath rag instead. Since that tiny rag wasn't going to clean up that big mess, we all ended up taking a bath. Tim changed our sheets and went back to bed while I stayed up and rubbed Jackson's tummy cause it was hurting. And then my tummy started hurting. Let me tell you - it's no fun being a sick mama with sick babies. I can only do one or the other. Never both.

But we are all feeling better now. Thank goodness we got it over with before Christmas. And this year I'm asking for more Clorox wipes and some gas masks from Santa.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Not fun at all. Glad everyone is starting to feel better. Did you get all your shopping done?

Lindsay said...

Yuck! Glad you guys are on the mend, though!

melanie said...

Oh! I am sorry.. You are right though, moms can not be sick when babies are sick. There should be a rule against that. ha ha

The Betitas said...

I've been sick too with a cough and I was just thinking...what would I do if I had kids! Its been hard enough to keep everything together for just me. Then I took it a step further...what did the pioneers do? We at least have medicine and warm wash cloths. Ya.

Kendra Field said...

Oooh, sick family is no fun. Thank goodness you got over it before Christmas. Knock on wood, we've been pretty healthy this year but when it hits, it's gonna be BAD.....

Ashley Thalman said...

Katie. i've got to say that though we want babies badly-we often look for items, situations and instances that help us keep on the b.c. for the good of the original plan-so thanks.

on another note, i am so sorry you sweet thing. if i had been near i would have loved to scoop up jack jack and help you out.

the part about tim and the wash rag is the funniest thing i have ever read.

jenica said...

why is this so funny to me? oh yeah, because i KNOW.

i am so sorry! vomit and ears don't mix. very true point, you can't have a sick mama and sick babies. it's imposible! hope your christmas was healthy!