10 December 2007
Is It Hot In Here, Or Is It Just Me?
OK people. This cold weather is really putting a cramp in my running style. Running in the cold is a bother, but I'll do it. I did it in Alaska, but how am I supposed to train for the race in this snow and ice without breaking my neck? I've been going to the gym and running on a treadmill, and let me tell you, that is simply just not working out well. It's hard for me to run on a treadmill, staring at the same spot on the wall - or worse - the person-in-front-of-me's butt for 4 miles, let alone 7 or 8, or heaven forbid the whole 13! That's not to mention the stale, stagnant air that hovers around me while I'm running. There's no breeze blowing past my face to cool me down, so when I get finished running I look like I've been in the Sahara Desert for 23 straight days with no sunscreen. And what's worse then looking like an umpa-lumpa who just took the express elevator back from hell? The gym rat guys who have no necks that come in and start running on the treadmill next to you, even though there are about 45 other open treadmills they could have chosen from. Kindda awkward when you have to explain that you're married with 2 kids, and the reason you don't wear your wedding ring to the gym is because your hands swell up to the size of small watermelons when you run INDOORS. Gotta be weary of those guys who hit on you when you look like you just stuck your face in the oven and closed the door for 45 minutes. And don't even get me started on the Spanish soap operas they have playing on 9 out of the 10 televisions. Yes, my friends. I'm either going to have to suck it up and just keep on staring at that person-in-front-of-me's butt, or start running outside in cleats.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So yes it does really suck to train inside, but I think what helped me the best to train was not running everyday. When I stopped running everyday I actually did better. I would try to cross train, do the stair stepper and then do the treadmill on the highest incline that it will go and do that for as fast as you can walk, not run. Trust me. That course in Moab has I think two tough hills. The course is actually pretty easy except those two hills. So try that and let me know what you think. I also have a weight routine that I did that helped tons. When you run you are are stretching the muscles, so that routine that I have longates your muscles and actually makes them longer. Trust me.....
i vote stare at the butt.
You know the lay out of my house. I run my loop around the house from the basement up to the family room, through the wash room, bedroom and backdown the stairs to the basement again. I'll give you a key if you want to wear out the carpet for us...
Be on the front tread mill and let all those guys who want to hit on you look at your butt. You could take it as a compliment. And at least you are out doing something productive. I have been hitting the gym too. I think it sucks as well, but my reason is different than yours. I just plain old hate to exercise. Take heart!
Post a Comment