04 March 2008

Garbage Food

I'm trying to broaden Jackson's horizons as far as food is concerned. His picky-ness is getting worse (MUCH WORSE!) - not better. Right now all he will eat is:

1) WAFFLES
2) Hot dogs (on occasion)
3) Cheese

That's it. He asks for waffles for breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner. I *swore* I would never have a picky-eater ... but seriously? SERIOUSLY? What have I done? What can I do? I can't force feed the kid, chew it up for him, and make him swallow. And I feel that he's still too young to understand if I were to say, "You're eating THIS for dinner, or you're getting nothing." Because he would go for nothing.

Like tonight. I tried to get him to eat our dinner. And he yelled, "NO! THAT'S GARBAGE!"

??????? Where does he come up with this stuff ???????????

9 comments:

Amy said...

Laugh! I know exactly what you are saying. My house is full of picky eaters!! I am not exactly sure how old Jackson is, but when my kids were two years old I told them they had to eat what I was making or eat nothing at all. For about half the day they chose to eat nothing at all, but their hungry stomach got the best of them and by mid afternoon they were ready to eat what I gave them.
We still use this tactic in our home, even now that they are bigger. Maybe Melaine can tell you about the time I made Stockton eat an egg salad sandwich!
For me, this is a harder topic because I am such a picky eater myself. But when the kids are making it nearly impossible to feed them there is almost no other choice.
Maybe someone else has some good advice on this topic!!

melanie said...

Well, I have been very lucky. All of my kids are good eaters. On the other hand Haylee is picky about other things, as I have posted before. Her hair.. what she wears. I don't know what it is.... As for the egg salad sandwich incident with Stockton, yep! I remember it well.

Bleen said...

Been there- still there. No good advice other than we won't give Rowan something other than what we are eating unless he actually tries what is being served. Usually the biggest obstacle is the first bite and then he might actually eat dinner. He's really weird about texture and color- if there's something remotely healthy in the dinner he'll find it. I might try some of those new cookbooks where you sneak veggies into kid's food mwhahahahaha.

Sara said...

I know this is what I say every time I comment, but that kid is so darn cute! He makes me laugh so hard!

Ashley Thalman said...

SOOOOOO naughty!

The Betitas said...

Garbage? Wow big words to go along with a Big two year old attitude:)

jenica said...

that's really funny. i make my kids have waffles with peanut butter or jam instead of syrup... at least then they're getting some protein!

i make mac and cheese with broccoli, corn, and peas cooked in.

i'm a mean mean mama!

just keep trying, keep offering. maybe ask him to take one bite of everything that is for dinner before he can have his waffle. i always try to get my kids to just try a bite of everything first. e used to turn her nose up at everything but now she requested her birthday meal to be, "salad! and fruit! and pineapple! and grapes! and vegetables!" weird, i know.

i'm sorry to hear about tim's job! you can come and camp in our backyard! ok, that probably doesn't help. i'm really sorry!

Tim said...

I always liked cheese covered waffles with slices of hot dog. I think Emily might say that I had that diet up until about October 19th 2007, then she slowly and painfully weaned me off of that. Now I am on to bigger and better things. Who knows, maybe I'll even be able to dress myself one of these days. ;-)

Tim and Lisa said...

I am a friend of Emily's. She asked me to look at your blog for the main reason of we are struggling with our 2 year old to eat anything but pop tarts, corn dogs/hot dogs and top ramen. The advice we have recieved is make them try a bite, if they don't like it fine. But if they refuse to try it, they go hungry. We started this a couple nights ago, she would not try pasta, but tried the carrots and loved them. Last night we had a kid friendly dinner, chicken strips, frys and peas and carrots. She would only eat the frys. So she had nothing else for the rest of the night. Good luck!