17 February 2009

Do As I Say, Not As I Do.

I don't know what you do when you're mad, but I usually get really quiet. Really, really quiet. Sometimes, though, when I'm frustrated with my kids because I've dressed and re-dressed them both, found and re-found their shoes, found and re-found their blankets, filled and re-filled their juice cups, packed and re-packed the diaper bag just for a five minute trip to the store - I'll admit - I yell. Usually, I yell something like, "Why do we even bother! We're just going to stay home!"

But there was this one time about a year ago, I got really mad at Tim while I was making dinner. And I threw the potato I was peeling at the back door.

I would have forgotten this little incident by now - if my three year old would stop reminding me! Literally, every time we have the talk about being nice to our friends, about how it's not good to be mean, about how we shouldn't hit, about how we need to share .... he reminds me.

"Remember when you got mad at Tim? Remember when you threw a potato? And then you had to go to your room. And say you're sorry. Remember mom?"

Yeah. Thanks kid. I remember. But, how is it that you remember? I guess it was that traumatizing. I'll just have to start saying - do as I say, not as I do.

8 comments:

Krysta said...

I remember one time when I was mad at Will and I threw a cotton ball at him. He got mad at me. I was like, "uh, its a cotton ball," but I knew why he was mad, and he had every right. I should't lose my temper enough to even get to the point where I throw anything, even something as soft and nice as a cotton ball.

I know as my kids get bigger, I am going to have to be extra careful to remember that they watch everything I DO, rather than listen to everything I say.

Thanks for the reminder :)

jenica said...

that's too funny.

Anonymous said...

haha. ya you are a good mom. Today I realized that ten times more.

Katie said...

Let me clarify. I didn't throw the potato AT Tim. I just threw it at the window - opposite of where he was standing. Haha.

But you're right - we should not throw things when we're angry. :P

Jessica said...

Yeah I can't wait for Aidan to say... remember that time you were mad and wouldn't come out of your room?!? Yeah I yell, then lock myself in the room to stew for awhile!

Emily said...

One time our family sat down to a dinner that my mom had been slaving over for a long time. She worked so hard and just when she plopped down in her chair at the table, my brother (who was about 17 years old at the time) yells out, "Hey Mom, I'm forkless here!" My mom got up, walked over to the silverware drawer, got out a fork, and threw it at my brother. We laughed so hard (mostly because he deserved it)and couldn't stop talking about it. It's been probably five years now and it is constantly brought up. I'm not sure it will ever end. I hate to say it, but you may be hearing about the potato throwing incident for the rest of your life...

Emily said...

I think you were being nice for not throwing the potato at Tim. Im not such a nice wife! I aim and fire!

Anonymous said...

Ha I'll have to watch all my bad habits, like picking my nose and stuff. jk As Rachel says, you really are a great mom! Hope we can see you soon!