I recently decided to simplify my life. That meant getting rid of my Facebook account. That meant losing about 150 "friends." But I'm not really sure Facebook friends really count as real friends, unless you see them at some point in real life. You know, like that kid from high school who you were acquaintances with, but you haven't seen them in 10 years, but for some reason you still read their 10 status updates per day. That's what I needed to cut out of my life.
Sometimes I feel sad because I'm really not a very social person. I don't like to talk on the phone. Being a working mama for 2 little ones who still rely on me for basic necessities like breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, getting dressed, reading books, taking baths ... I really don't have much time to do play dates or girls nights out. The very few friends I do consider special to me I see probably 4 times a year. So sometimes I feel isolated, and like an outsider when I do see friends. But these last few years I have realized something. I have 4 of the most awesome, best, fun, reliable, trustworthy, amazing friends in the whole world. And I talk to them daily and get to see most of them weekly.
These are my best friends. They are my sisters. I got lucky and ended up with 4 of them. I can always call them, day or night. I can be me with them. I can be happy. I can be sad. I can be grumpy. I can be a bad mom in front of them, and they don't care. We have fun. We make goals together. We laugh hysterically. We cry. We are all close, in different ways. We are all so very different. We share each others hopes and disappointments as if they were our own. We feel each others happiness and sadness. Our hearts ache when one of us is having a hard time. They love my kids. I love Gunner like I love Jack and Mia. They like my husband (mostly). And I like theirs. We work together. We vacation together. We build each other up. We don't gossip, or bicker, or fight. We love each other unconditionally.My dad tells this story about us when we were little: We all went to one of my parent's friends house to spend the night so my mom and dad could have a little mini-break. I vaguely remember it. I was probably 7-ish. When my parents came to pick us up the next day, the friend told my dad, "You know what I like about your girls? They take care of each other."
We always have. And we always will.
3 comments:
I just got off the phone with you and then went to your blog and this is what I read. I'm so grateful for you guys too!! Thanks for letting me vent tonight :) and for letting me think your kids are my own.
Aren't sisters great! I hope my girls will love each other the way I love my sisters and you love yours! This was a great post...Thanks!
I love this post! It is so true! Sister's are very special people! Your so lucky that you have so many!
Post a Comment