So this whole gluten free thing hasn't been so terribly bad. Although, I've only been gluten free for about 6 days now - versus the rest of my life. I had a dream last night that I ate a chocolate chip cookie. Not even the whole cookie - just a bite! And then the guilt was so overwhelming I had to spit it out.
But really, we've had so many people reach out to us. This celiac thing is a lot more common then you think! Everyone I know either has it themselves, their kid/s have it, their siblings have it, both their grandmas have it ... and they are all giving me recipes, websites, names, emails, phone numbers - I can't keep them all straight!
As for myself - I have so much energy. I feel like I'm taking caffeine pills. With a side of ephedrine. I must have really been running on empty for the last decade, because This. Is. AWESOME! My face is clearing up. I always thought it was weird (not to mention unfair) that I had as much acne as I did when I was 14 years old. I feel more cheerful then I have in a long time (celiac can actually alter your mood, and one of the symptoms is depression). The headaches I've had since junior high - gone.
So - I feel awesome. If it were just me going gluten free it wouldn't be so bad. But try telling your 3 year old he can't have bread anymore. "Sorry Jack. The gluten in that roll is going to kill the microvilli in your small intestine, and your intestinal lining will become inflamed. This decreases the area in the intestine that can absorb nutrients. The inability to absorb nutrients may be severe enough to stunt growth and weaken your bones." That didn't go over very smoothly.
BUT - we are finding alternatives. We're eating a lot of corn tortillas. Rice cakes. Peanut butter - right out of the jar. Beans. Fresh fruits. Dried fruits. String cheese. Yogurt. Quinoa. Rice.
So - who needs gluten? So far, we're doing just OK without it.
6 comments:
Well I'm glad that you are feeling better then you have in years. That's exciting. And look at the bright side of things, at least both your kids have it. So you don't have to explain why one can have some things and the other one can't, right?
I have a killer refried bean recipe.
you like?
YAY!! Keep going strong. After doing this for a month... the minute you eat gluten, you will know. Trust me.
So many benefits! WOW. Im amazed that the food we eat can really in a sense make or break us! I have been meat, bread, sugar and dairy free since the beginning of the year. My face has only SLIGHTLY improved. I guess Ill keep it up for a few more weeks and see what happens. Im running out of options.
Way to go!! You can do it! You definitely have more will power then I do.
Keep us posted!
I'm glad it's working out for you! I made some black bean burgers this week where I added a 1/2 cup of gluten--I don't think I'll be passing that one along... I do, however, have some recipes on my blog and I'm sure plenty of them would work for you (the catch is, all the recipes are vegetarian...).
Post a Comment