07 September 2012

Motherhood.

I love being a mama.  I think I got pretty darn lucky with my 2 little ones.  Honestly, I felt a little pressured to have a 3rd.  So we tried, and it didn't work out so well, and I thought it was a sign.  And it was OK.  I had my 2 awesome kids who were getting to be more and more independent.  I had my awesome job, and the kids were both starting school in the fall so my job would most likely become less stressful, etc ... Then I became unexpectedly pregnant in December, and it just seemed like extremely bad timing and, well, pretty much inconvenient.  Not to mention I was dealing with some serious life changing situations and was already on one wild emotional roller coaster ride.  Also, I dislike being pregnant.  Some women love it.  Me? Not so much.  I've always been this way.  This pregnancy has seriously been a physical struggle for me, much more so than my last 2, and then add the mental and emotional turmoil on top of that .... It's been a wild ride.  I've struggled with so many emotions these last 9 months, some of them good, some of them not so good.  I've finally come to terms with it (it only took me about 35 weeks) and I am finally really excited to meet this new little one (although he/she seems to be perfectly comfy where it is).  I stumbled across this blog a few days ago and I really enjoyed the message.  Here are my favorite passages, but you can read the whole post here.

A Rock Bottom Job?

"The truth is that years ago, before this generation of mothers was even born, our society decided where children rank in the list of important things. When abortion was legalized, we wrote it into law.


Children rank way below college. Below world travel for sure. Below the ability to go out at night at your leisure. Below honing your body at the gym. Below any job you may have or hope to get. In fact, children rate below your desire to sit around and pick your toes, if that is what you want to do. Below everything. Children are the last thing you should ever spend your time doing.

If you grew up in this culture, it is very hard to get a biblical perspective on motherhood, to think like a free Christian woman about your life, your children. How much have we listened to partial truths and half lies? Do we believe that we want children because there is some biological urge, or the phantom “baby itch”? Are we really in this because of cute little clothes and photo opportunities? Is motherhood a rock-bottom job for those who can’t do more, or those who are satisfied with drudgery? If so, what were we thinking?

It's Not a Hobby

Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for.

Christian mothers carry their children in hostile territory. When you are in public with them, you are standing with, and defending, the objects of cultural dislike. You are publicly testifying that you value what God values, and that you refuse to value what the world values. You stand with the defenseless and in front of the needy. You represent everything that our culture hates, because you represent laying down your life for another—and laying down your life for another represents the gospel."

The Question Is How

The question here is not whether you are representing the gospel, it is how you are representing it. Have you given your life to your children resentfully? Do you tally every thing you do for them like a loan shark tallies debts? Or do you give them life the way God gave it to us—freely?


It isn’t enough to pretend. You might fool a few people. That person in line at the store might believe you when you plaster on a fake smile, but your children won’t. They know exactly where they stand with you. They know the things that you rate above them. They know everything you resent and hold against them. They know that you faked a cheerful answer to that lady, only to whisper threats or bark at them in the car.

Children know the difference between a mother who is saving face to a stranger and a mother who defends their life and their worth with her smile, her love, and her absolute loyalty."





4 comments:

melanie said...

WOW! Katie. Thanks for sharing that. You and I are very similar in our feelings on being pregnant. I LOVE being a mom but dislike being pregnant. Anyway, I have been boo hooing about this pregnancy and really needed to read that..

Bleen said...

I so, so, SO needed to read that. I'm like you in that the third kid has definitely put me closer to that edge where I resent being a mother rather than relish it. It's hard to always put your own needs last- something that especially happens with a newborn. Thank goodness for supportive husbands and family. I usually don't feel super connected to my child until a few weeks after they are born. When they reward you with smiles, that is the greatest feeling ever. I need to remember that that feeling can and does occur with my older children if I just take the time to invest in them and their happiness.

Bleen said...

I so, so, SO needed to read that. I'm like you in that the third kid has definitely put me closer to that edge where I resent being a mother rather than relish it. It's hard to always put your own needs last- something that especially happens with a newborn. Thank goodness for supportive husbands and family. I usually don't feel super connected to my child until a few weeks after they are born. When they reward you with smiles, that is the greatest feeling ever. I need to remember that that feeling can and does occur with my older children if I just take the time to invest in them and their happiness.

Ringo and Company said...

I wish you still lived down the street.