15 January 2011

HELP.

I thought eventually I'd become a night owl. But the fact that I've worked 2 nights in a row, and have to go back for a third night in about 5 hours, but I've been awake since noon (after 4 hours of sleep) is throwing that night owl theory right out the window. Subsequently, making me want to throw myself right out the window. However, we live on a ground level with no upstairs, so throwing myself out the window really would have no benefit at this point ... Damn it.

I have been avoiding caffeine for a while, thinking that maybe I would sleep better if I didn't drink it ... Mind you, I was really only drinking it once or twice a week to begin with. I am going to buy a case of caffeine, just as soon as I finish this blog. And I am too embarrassed to tell you how much of it I plan on consuming.

Tim bought me a happy lamp. Most likely in a feeble attempt to save my sanity. And his. And our children's. And our marriage. I have been using it regularly for 2 weeks. On the days I work, I use it right before my shift starts at 7PM. On the days I don't work, I use it right after my adorable children wake me up at 7AM. Is it working? Obviously not. My body has no idea when it's night or day because now I am having trouble sleeping at night.

Sometimes I take Benadryl. That usually buys me about 2 more hours of sleep and a gigantic hangover for about 10 hours afterwards.

I take vitamins. I drink Emergen-C. I eat well. I exercise 3-4 times a week. PEOPLE. I am training for a marathon. Tim wants more kids. And I am actually considering it for the first time in 3 1/2 years.

Oh. My. Gosh. I am a masochist.

This is insane.

Imagine with me. Going to bed at 3AM and waking up at 6AM for 3 days in a row. And now you get no sleep in between 6AM and 3AM the next morning. That's 9 hours of sleep in 3 days. I bet you need a nap just thinking about it. Now, do that at least 3 days a week for the rest of your life. That's about as much sleep as I get. NOW, twice a week try being awake for 24 straight hours. Get up at 7AM, do 4 loads of laundry, sweep and mop the floor, read books to your kids, go grocery shopping, load the dishwasher, wipe 5 year old boy and 3 year old girl pee off every surface of your bathroom, go running, cook dinner, give the kids a bath, take a shower, leave for work, and don't sit down for the next 12 hours.

So, who has suggestions? Advice? A miracle? Tell me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have no idea how you do it. Forget going insane you are crazy for attempting it. Have you tried using melitonin to help you sleep? Just use your light when you wake up an no hangover feeling. You may become a night owl but then forget being a morning person too.

Unknown said...

PS Try the melitonan with other good brain stuff like GABA and stuff. I buy one at sunflower.

Jen and Allen said...

Pray for help... ask for a blessing to make it or to find ways to make it better. I lean heavly on blessings when I feel like Im going nuts.