When Jackson was born I found it much easier to let him sleep with me so I could "get more/better rest" while I breastfed him lying down. Both Tim and I are really light sleepers, so I wasn't worried that we'd squish the baby and end up on the evening news for child abuse. But then Jackson quit breastfeeding. And he turned two. And he's about to turn three. And he still sleeps with me.
He refuses to sleep in his own bed. And when I say refuses, I mean strongly objects. STRONGLY. So I've been letting him fall asleep in my bed while I read, then I carry him into his own room. But always before three 'o' clock, he's back in bed with me.
This wouldn't be so bad, especially since Tim has either been gone or worked nights for 95% of our marriage, so there's room. Except, Jackson gets violent. He kicks, hits, turns around, and does somersaults - all while sleeping soundly. He also cries in his sleep about how he needs more ice cream and cake. Doesn't make for the best night's rest for mama.
Mia, on the other hand, has slept on her own, in her own bed, and even in her own room since she was 6 months old. I co-slept with her for a while, but come on! I only have a queen bed, and two babies and a mama (and sometimes a dad) make for a few too many.
Last night, I was rudely awakened at 2 a.m. by a little boy screaming bloody murder at the TOP OF HIS LUNGS BECAUSE HE WAS NOT IN HIS MAMA'S BED! After I remembered who I was, and where I was, I carried him back to my bed only to be kicked, and hit, and kicked some more for the rest of the night.
So ~ to co-sleep or not to co-sleep? I used to strongly say "Yay" but the older the boy gets and the less sleep I get - I am leaning more towards, "What the hell was I thinking?"
9 comments:
We found with Angela that she would sleep at the foot of the bed okay (almost like she was a pet) and she finally made the short distance from the foot of our bed to her own bed.
Nay. I'll leave it at that. I just don't sleep well with a kid in the bed and when momma's grumpy- our home just isn't a happy place.
I personally am not a fan of co sleeping, except for extenuating circumstances such as sickness, teething, or when we're on vacation and he doesn't have a crib (like what happened last week...). At one point we, desperately wanting our sleep, let him sleep with us more often than I would have liked, and he started to make it a habit. It took a while, but we eventually kicked him of it. We just kept being persistent (which is hard when it's the middle of the night and you're half-asleep), and we lost a little sleep trying to calm his cries down when we wouldn't take him out of his crib like he wanted us to, but it's been worth it -- we all sleep better. Good luck with Jackson! Getting kicked and punched in the middle of the night was one big reason why I didn't want Garrett in the bed with us.
I have no experience on the matter. But after hearing your story and one of the guys at works stories of getting beaten up all night. We either need a much bigger bed first or no co-sleeping for us. I bet it will be no co-sleeping though. (At least that is what I am hoping for...we shall see though.)
I have no childrens of my own, however I am TOTALLY and UTTERLY selfish when it comes to my sleep. I guess that is why you are a kind and gracious mother, and I am still single....
I look up to you!
I love it! I read all of your posts, then I get the opportunity to tell you, like always, that I LOVE reading your posts. Can you be a writer? Seriously Katie, your books would be #1 Best Sellers.
I can't sleep very well if I am cramped for space. So its been a Nay for us. Kiara slept in a basinet next to the bed for the first few months and then we moved her to her room. When we did that She slept better. So it probably depends on the kid and you.
Katie, like brooke said i love to read your blog!! Love love it and really you should be a writer! So abt the co sleep, um savannah is almost 7 and um ha ha is still in my bed! Joel just couldnt get enough of her when she was born and so it was his fault :) but then when he died i was so grateful to have her there! I have no idea whether its a good idea of not, i guess just do what is best for your fam. you do need the sleep, but plan on getting less as you try to get him into his own bed.. hey we could do this together :) as both of our kids are screaming we could call each other and complain :)
nay. my kids are violent sleepers too. the only exception to my rule is if they have a nightmare... and then i put them in bed with one another. ;-D
xoxo
Post a Comment