28 August 2012

Jackson.

It feels like my kids are growing up at lightning speed and there is no slowing down this thing called life. Jackson started 1st grade this year. Somehow, 1st grade has been harder for me than Kindergarten. I think it's because he's gone all day long, Monday through Friday. That seems like so much time away from his mama. He, however, really seems to be enjoying school, and for that I'm grateful. Here are a few of my favorite things about Jackson.


This kid has the biggest heart. Someone told me recently, "He has a heart the size of China!" He replied, "My heart is bigger than China." True that. He doesn't like people to be sad, and he will give anything to anybody. Sometimes I feel like other kids take advantage of this (even his little sister) but, seriously, this kid is very loving and giving.

Jack hates to get into "trouble." He is very much a rule follower, and has a huge sense of right and wrong. Things are just black and white to him. It's hard trying to explain areas of 'grey' because, to him, it's either right or it's wrong. I caught him telling a fib the other day (something he does very, very rarely). It was over something so minor, I can't even remember what it was. But I said to him,"I think you just told me a fib. Did you?" He cried all afternoon. Sweet, sweet boy.

He has the greatest sense of humor. He loves to tell jokes (even though half the time they make absolutely no sense to anyone except him and Mia). Usually at night when we're doing bedtime routine, I'll come in to scratch his back and sing him a song, and then we just sit and laugh about stuff until Tim tells us to be quite and go to sleep. He LOVES to laugh and to make other people laugh. Example: He loves Star Wars. Recently, I came across a Star Wars character in the form of Mr. Potato Head. I showed Jackson a picture, and told him, "Look! It's Darth Tater!" He about died laughing, and then giggled about it for 2 weeks straight.


Jackson is brave and will try just about anything. He goes down all the slides he can at 7 Peaks, with no fear. He finally convinced me to let him do the rope swing, and I was all ready to jump my pregnant butt into the water and save him from drowning, but he swung in, and then swam himself all the way to the ladder. I was very impressed and proud. But, of course I was - I'm his mama.

He is one smart cookie, too. He's starting to read and he can add double digits in his head. He is like his daddy when it comes to math. However, he doesn't have much patience when it comes to writing. He wants to speed right through the whole process, and his penmanship could use a little work.

His favorite things to do are play with friends, play the Wii (Mario Party 8 is his favorite), play baseball, read with his mama, go swimming and boating. His favorite TV shows are Phineas and Ferb and Scooby Doo.

He loves his sister so, so much. Recently, they've been having "sleepovers" in his room. He has bunk beds in there, but when I come in to check on them (after they've finally stopped playing and fallen asleep) they are both on the same bed, sometimes holding hands. I hope they always love each other this much.

I sure do love my little boy!


2 comments:

Rachel Dean-Dastrup said...

Perfect post! He is such a sweetheart and I love his contagious laugh!

Anonymous said...

I wish we got to see each other more cause it seems we are missing out! It's amazing to me how 'programed' they come. What a cool guy! Hope Savannah finds someone like that to marry (outside the family of course!)

Love ya