18 November 2009

Because You Can Find Humor In Any Situation.

Differences Between Graduate Nurses and Experienced Nurses

*A graduate nurse throws up when the patient does.
*An experienced nurse calls housekeeping when a patient throws up.

*A graduate nurse wears so many pins on their name badge you can´t read it.
*An experienced nurse doesn't wear a name badge for liability reasons.

*A graduate nurse loves to run to codes.
*An experienced nurse makes graduate nurses run to codes.

*A graduate nurse wants everyone to know they are a nurse.
*An experienced nurse doesn't want anyone to know they are a nurse.

*A graduate nurse keeps detailed notes on a pad.
*An experienced nurse writes on the back of their hand, paper scraps, napkins, etc.

*A graduate nurse will spend all day trying to reorient a patient.
*An experienced nurse will chart "the patient is disoriented" and restrain them.

*A graduate nurse can hear a beeping I-med at 50 yards.
*An experienced nurse can´t hear any alarms at any distance.

*A graduate nurse loves to hear abnormal heart and breath sounds.
*An experienced nurse doesn´t want to know about them unless the patient is symptomatic.

*A graduate nurse thinks people respect nurses.
*An experienced nurse knows everybody blames everything on the nurse.

*A graduate nurse looks for a chance "to work with the family."
*An experienced nurse avoids the family.

*A graduate nurse will spend days bladder training an incontinent patient.
*An experienced nurse will insert a Foley catheter.

*A Graduate Nurse thinks psych patients are interesting.
*An experienced nurse thinks psych patients are crazy.


THE TOP TEN REASONS TO BECOME A NURSE

10. Pays better than fast food, though the hours aren't as good.
9. Fashionable shoes & sexy white uniforms.
8. Needles: It's better to give than to receive.
7. Reassure your patients that all bleeding stops...eventually.
6. Expose yourself to rare, exotic, and exciting new diseases.
5. Interesting aromas.
4. Courteous & infallible doctors who always leave clear orders in perfectly legible handwriting.
3. Do enough charting to navigate around the world.
2. Celebrate the holidays with all your friends, at work.
1. Take comfort that most of your patients survive no matter what you do to them.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Congrats on becoming a graduate nurse! Hopefully you'll keep some of the graduate nurse zeal as you become and experienced nurse. I had a nurse I work with read this post and she thought it was hillarious--especially the part about getting to spend the holidays with your co-workers:)

Katie said...

I'm not there yet! 5 more months or so and then I'll be a graduate nurse .. right now I'm still in the "student nurse" category. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha Katie, I light up every time I see you've posted, because for sure you bring humor to any situation!

Ringo and Company said...

You will make a great nurse. . . and put all the experienced nurses to shame!

Brianne said...

You couldn't have explained it more perfectly! I too can definitely see the distinct differences. Man in practice I still feel like a grad nurse but I definitely do some of those experienced nurse things. Ha! I graduate in two weeks with my bachelor's! It has been herendous.