28 October 2009

I Guess This Means I'm Not Quite Ready.

Flu season is here, folks. The news is freakin' the *&% out of people about the flu, and the hospitals are preparing for at least 50% of the population to get the flu - so we, as nursing students, received an email from IHC asking for a list of volunteer nursing students that they could call in case of a major pandemic. I put my name on the list, because - hey! Great experience, right?

Then I started thinking about it. And I was all like - Oh, hell no. A nursing student trying to work half-way supervised if there's a nursing shortage? Me, imagining me, trying to take care of 6 swine flu patients all by myself ... 'cause I was all proud of myself for not killing the 3 patients I had at clinical when my nurse went to lunch and left me by myself for 30 minutes. Those were some awesome nursing skills I busted out in those 30 minutes, let me tell you. And then I was imagining it being like, "So, since you've been in school the longest, you will be the charge nurse tonight. Good luck." AND THEN I HAD TO INTUBATE SOMEONE IN RESPIRATORY DISTRESS. And my brain freaked OUT.

So I've decided - IHC, you can take my name OFF that list, 'cause I really don't want to lose my license before I even get it.

5 comments:

Rick...the meek and mild said...

Get your mom and dad to let you practice on them. All us Deans don't do well with needles and tubes so it would be good practice on catching a man as he is falling to the ground after fainting ha ha.
Anyway, that is how it would be for me.
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

ahhhhh hahahaha so funny. I would take you as my nurse :)

The Betitas said...

Yeah working alone, unsupervised would about freak me out too. I love that you totally blew up the direness of what might happen in your mind. Classic! Or maybe it was just reality setting in? I don't know anything about what it is like to be a nurse!

Katie said...

They wouldn't leave a student nurse to work alone!! At least, I hope not! I was just blowing things way out of proportion - like usual.

Lori Buhr said...

Well, better the nurse you know than the one you don't know. I know you and you can take care of me when I get the flu. With 8 year olds coughing all over me every day I am bound to get something. I haven't missed any work, but I've felt yucky already. They say Tooele is in stage 1 of the 3 stages they expect the flu to go through this year. One down and two to go.