I do a lot of things. Everyday. Some people call it 'wearing different hats.' Mine isn't so much a hat as it is a totally different personality.
Here are some of the different personalities, I mean, different hats I wear.
Student.
Here I sit in class, sometimes for almost 9 straight hours. Here I am focused. Attentive. Well-behaved, if you will. I can take notes as fast as you can shoot them at me.
Work.
Here I am out torturing people (unless I'm working at Huntsman, and then I just do EKGs). BUT - here's the catch - I have to do with with a smile! And a, "Is there anything else I can do for you today? Besides poke you in the arm with my long needle and dig around all those nerves..." And I always leave with a "Thank you! Have a GREAT day!" Because we're all about good patient care, you know.
Study-Grouper.
Here I get to translate all those notes I took in class. Here I get to say, "What the hell was the professor talking about? Because none of this looks familiar!" Here I get to laugh hysterically with my nursing buddies because our brains are so fried. Soon, I think, we'll get to cry with each other because we're just so darn tired of school.
Young Women Leader.
Here I have to practice deep breathing. I get to work with a lot of youth who need a good, loving, supportive person. And after a long day of school, work, and studying, sometimes it's hard to be good. And loving. And supportive. But, I breath deep and try to have a good time.
Mother.
Here I also get to practice deep breathing. Since my kids think I'm just an infrequent visitor instead of part of the family, when I do get to see them they can be mighty clingy. I don't need to work out anymore because when I'm home I get to carry a 35 pound toddler and his 25 pound sister around while I do the laundry and dishes.
Wife.
Here. Well, let's just say here is where all the personalities kind of converge, and my husband wonders who is who, and which is which. He never knows if my torturous work personality has converged with my hysterical laughter study group personality, and sometimes that deep breathing mechanism goes awry and I end up hyperventilating. And sometimes, I can even yell at him with a smile on my face and end my rant with, "Thank you! Have a GREAT day!"
10 comments:
hahahaha oh wow. this is by far my favorite post.
Oh! Katie you are so funny. Forget nursing school. You can become a famous blogger like Dooce..
You're hilarious, Katie! I still don't know how you do it, what with wearing all those hats. It sounds so hard. But you seem to be sporting each hat pretty well. :)
Oh, Katie! I'm sorry that you're so stressed out! I hope that things get a little easier soon!
i love this post.
do you remember when we walked across provo at 2 am? oh, yes, you do hyperventilate when you're over-stimulated. ;-D
you're doing your very best and it is more than enough. besides didn't your husband promise to love you no matter what crazy stuff you come up with? haha
xoxo
Give yourself and Tim a break and just be yourself. Your REAL self if you can find yourself in your busy schedule. It will get better (after it gets worse :)
This post was funny. REALLY funny :)
Our poor husbands! They do get the brunt of it don't they ?(and we the brunt of their crazy times).
You are funny! Even though you are soo super busy, you seem to be juggling them well so far. It will get easier!
Katie. I LOVE YOU! You are amazing and make me feel VERY lazy. I feel like I am going crazy b/c I have a lot to do, but obviously I do not have a full plate. Way to take on your life!!
Post a Comment