So. I've decided that I'm going back to school. For the 4th time in 8 years. I know! I just said that Tim was going to go back to school and I was going to work, yadda, yadda, yadda ... But I'm just drawn to continue my, what's proving to be, very lengthy educational career. And what's it gonna be this time, you ask?!?! First, let's take a look back at what I've done over the last 8 years since I graduated high school.
First major: Elementary Education. Did an internship in a 1st grade classroom. Wanted to kill myself. Changed majors quickly.
Second major: Audiology, Speech and Language Pathology. Loved this major. Still think it would be awesome, but I got married and moved to Alaska where they didn't have this major. They also didn't have indoor plumbing.
Third major: Linguistics. Interesting. Just a little bit boring for my taste. Sitting behind a stack of books studying old, dead languages was enough to make me feel old. And dead.
Fourth major: Dietetics. This is still my goal. Just not right now.
Current major (or I should say 2nd Associate degree): Nursing. Why the hell not?!?! Sign me up!
I'm not sure why they don't just offer a Bachelor degree in "Generals." I have a general associate in science degree. (Should that be capitalized somewhere? Forgive me. I went to community college.) Just extend that general-ness over to a bachelor degree. I would be set! I have enough credits.
I guess I picked nursing this time around because they have courses I haven't taken yet. Freak! If it ends with "-ology" I'VE TAKEN IT!
Anthropology. CHECK.
Psychology. CHECK.
Biology. CHECK.
Sociology. CHECK.
It's kind of embarrassing when the school comes to you and says, "Wow. It looks like you've taken just about everything we have to offer. Ahem. Let's get you grad-i-ated!"
And then there's that $ issue. School isn't cheap. But it's interesting the way the human mind works. For instance, at the grocery store I cringe when I have to pay $8.69 for a bag of cheese. Or over $0.99 for a loaf of bread. But ONCE THERE'S A COMMA - WHO CARES!
$25,000 for tuition and books?!? Where do I sign?
And I only have to pay $75 a month? Until I'm 70? SWEET! Who plans on living that long, anyway?!?
So - here I go again. I took the Nursing Entrance Test (NET) this morning - and wonder of wonders - I passed. (Actually, I should have aced that sucker with all the "general" knowledge I possess.) Now I'm in the enrollment process. (BTW - it's a private school, which roughly translates, "You'll pay through the nose, but there's no 3 year waiting list!)
It's also an 18 month accelerated degree instead of 2 years.
Heaven help me.
9 comments:
Wow, Katie. Good luck!! You'll do great, though. And you'll make a fantastic nurse. :)
Ha looks like we're taking the trade off, I just dropped school to make a house payment (hopefully they accept our offer). So learn tons for the both of us!
Katie, that sounds so exciting! :) now that you have figured what you are going to be when you grow up... can you tell me now? :)
haha, between you and Paige, i should have the best nurses to deliver my babies.
Good Luck!
Katie, I have been a slacker the entire summer. I have just read the updates with your fam. I sure have missed reading your blog. You are a busy woman and have a busy family. Good luck with school. You will do great and you will grad-i-ate! YEAH!! Go NURSE KATIE!
Well, at least you know what you're getting into. Pretty soon you will have tried just about everything. Best of luck, I am glad someone can do needles, and I am glad that someone doesn't have to be ME! You'll be great!
I was wondering why I didn't have to put in my password to look at your blog anymore! LOL well it looks like we both have decision-making problems. I would have changed my major if I'd had the chance. I'm pretty much pursuing a useless degree unless I go to graduate school, but it's going to take a long time of changing diapers and listening to screaming kids before I'm willing to go through that kind of torture. Best of luck to you! Nursing can get you a job pretty much anywhere.
you make me laugh. i should say, your writing makes me laugh. nursing will be fantastic for you! i'm so happy for you both!
xoxo
Post a Comment