15 July 2012

Baby Talk.

We're having a baby!! Anyone else surprised? I kinnda am.  I am finally coming to the realization that it's gonna happen whether I'm ready or not.  Because obviously the 2 pink lines, the nausea, the heartbeat, the ultrasound, and the constant movement in my belly just weren't quite enough to convince me.

It hit me one morning after work.  I had been awake all day, worked all night, and had been asleep for about 3 1/2 hours when I woke up and had an overwhelming urge to organize, throw out, and/or remodel every room of my house.  When I say "overwhelming," I mean OVER.WHELMING! as in my heart was racing, I could hardly breathe, and I couldn't keep my legs still while I laid in bed.  So for the next 4 hours I cleaned and organized and threw out.  (Luckily I didn't get a hold of any sledge hammers and start ripping out walls for a remodeling project, although it did cross my mind.) Then I went back to work another 12 hour shift.  And now my immune system has rebelled, and I have some kind of upper respiratory infection/flu.  And I get to take Tylenol for my aching head, sore muscles, sore throat, ear ache, and stuffy nose.  I might as well put a band aid across my tonsils and call it good.  I think the last time I had the flu was when I was pregnant with Mia, and that turned into a sinus infection, double ear infection, and pneumonia.  I need healing vibes sent my way because I am not doing that again!

So far this has been a very hard pregnancy for me, not just physically, but emotionally as well. (Or maybe it's because it has been 5 years and I simply don't remember?) In between the nausea, sciatic nerve, back pain, debilitating headaches, and heartburn, I have had some serious mood swings.  And I mean serious.  As in going from happy, to pure rage, to sobbing - all within a matter of minutes.  Poor, poor Tim.  Some days I'm pretty sure (and he's pretty sure) I'm going to serve him with divorce papers - but don't worry, we'll get married again when this is all over with.  And my poor, sweet children.  I apologize to them every night for being a mean, cranky mommy.  Luckily, they forgive me every time. 

The other night I apologized to Tim for being a totally insane, crazy person (probably right before I went on a total rage rampage).  He said, "It hasn't been that bad.  You haven't thrown anything at me." And I said, "Yet."  Yes - this is my brain on progesterone. 

And I have decided that having September babies is for the birds.  What's that definition for stupidity?  Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results?  I apparently fit right into that category.  Two September babies is two too many for that month.  At least now I know what to expect if I go to hell - I will be eternally 7 1/2 months pregnant, working 12 hour night shifts at a hospital, bending and lifting 400 pound patients who keep their thermostats set to 80 freaking degrees - oh yeah - and they are all in isolation rooms which means I have to gown, glove, and mask before entering (and bringing them a warm blanket) - all in the burning inferno that is July.  I told my charge nurse that next time I come in to work, I am wearing my workout clothes.  Or a mumu.

And of course, I write this all in a kidding, teasing, good humor kind of way.  Sort of.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember being at your house once while you were pregnant, must have been with Mia, and Tim told us to leave cause we'd never have kids if we hung around you to much. lol. Good luck with everything. It's going to be so worth it when you see that amazing little baby. <3

Katie said...

Haha! I really have never been a very good pregnant person!

Rachel Dean-Dastrup said...

haha! that is a perfect description of your life right now! And yet, you still have it in you to make your life seem hilarious. You have yet to bite my head off...I think Tim must just be overly sensitive :)

Jen and Allen said...

I love you, You make me laugh. Someday I hope you write a book.