Wondering what gluten free people do for Thanksgiving? Here's a few things we're eating:
*Gluten Free Stuffing (As adapted from here) It's a lot of work, but stuffing is my favorite dish at Thanksgiving, and I am not giving it up.
10 c. homemade gluten free bread (made with Pamela's gluten free bread mix in the bread maker), cubed
2 Lb. sage sausage
2 c. chopped onion
2 c. chopped celery
1 1/2 Tbsp. dried sage
1 Tbsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 golden delicious apple, cored and chopped
1 1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 2/3 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 c. slivered almonds
Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 5-7 minutes at 350-degrees or until evenly toasted. Transfer toasted breadcrumbs to a large bowl. In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat, stirring until evenly browned. Add the celery, sage, rosemary and thyme. Cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Pour sausage mixture over bread in bowl. Mix in apples, cranberries, parsley and almonds. Drizzle with turkey stock and melted butter and toss until evenly coated. Spoon into 2 9x13 baking dishes and cook, covered for 40 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
*Gluten Free Cheesecake (I have yet to have a decent GF pie crust, so I gave it up. Cheesecake crust is much, much easier, albeit less traditional. But tradition gets thrown out the window when there's gluten involved. I mean, who ever heard of a gluten free pilgrim?)
Gluten Free Crust:
2 cups Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking Mix
½ cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup finely chopped pecans
Spray cheesecake pan lightly with vegetable oil spray. In a medium bowl stir together the flour mix and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until fine crumbs form. Stir in the nuts and pat into your pan. The crust will be “crumbly” but will hold together once pressed into the pan.
Cheesecake Ingredients:
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs, at room temperature
Above nut crust
With your mixer, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
Beat in the eggs but until combined, but do not over mix. Pour into the nut crust. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until the center is almost set. Cool. Refrigerate 3 or more hours.
*Rolls:
Unfortunately, we aren't having any. I've run out of time and energy to do rolls, so I'm just throwing another bread mix into the bread maker in the morning. *sigh* I can't do everything, people!
1 comment:
I hear you Hydees allergies make things hard too. No Milk cheese butter cream, no eggs, no nuts, no soy in any form and we have to be careful to not give her too much wheet. The poor girl doesnt get to eat any thing good. Hope your Turkey day is a good one.
Post a Comment